Admission to High School
The first year High School students (born 2000 or 2001) are selected through the national joint application, the "yhteishaku", and each applicant also takes The English School entrance exam in May (2.-9.5.). The application must be done at www.opintopolku.fi and the application time is from late February to mid-March (exact dates will be published when they are known). Each applicant should also send us the English School "Additional Application form" by the end of March.
Admission to The English School is based on academic merit, with special consideration given to applicants with excellent English language skills. Please note that a basic command of the Finnish Language is needed, and students need to be motivated to improve their Finnish. This is because some of the courses are studied in Finnish, and the students will take the Finnish Matriculation Examinations as their final examinations. In the entrance exam we will give you a written test in the English (max. 2,5 points) and Finnish or Finnish as a second language (max. 2,5 points), and you will be interviewed, too (max. 5 points). The lowest acceptable score on the entrance exam is 6,00. Your score in the entrance exam will be added to your average of the study subjects in your final report card.
Admission from Abroad
Students applying from abroad also need to participate in the national joint application in order to have themselves listed on the official selection list. The application time is 21.2.-14.3.2017 and the form can be found at www.opintopolku.fi during the application time (at the moment only in Finnish or in Swedish).
Each applicant also takes The English School entrance exam in May. Normally the school counselor or other school official in your present school would give this exam. In the event that your school is unable to serve in this capacity, we suggest that you contact the Finnish Embassy consulate closest to you to arrange a test time, venue, and proctor.
NOTE! If you are interested in transferring to our school during the school year or applying to the second or third year of high school, please contact the High School Principal Seija Nyholm.
How to apply?
- Fill in "yhteisvalintalomake" at www.opintopolku.fi (opens around February 20th and closes around mid-March, exact times will appear here when they are published)
- Print out also the English School "Additional Application form" and fill it out
- You must return the form to The English School, Valimotie 17-19, 00380 Helsinki, by the end of March. For overseas students, please include the student's complete transcript. You may also scan the application and send it as an email attachment to The English School's guidance counselor, email@example.com
- The exact time and place of the entrance exam will be mailed to applicants in April
- Announcement of results and admittance begins in mid-June. You will receive a letter that tells you the results.