The English School 1st to 3rd grade team has won the Finnish School Team Championship tournament, which was played on Saturday in Espoo. The tournament was very exciting and only after the last game did we know that we won the tournament.
Congratulations to all chess players and to our chess expert and couch Mika Ebeling for the great achievements!
- ENGS 8 match points, 15 game points (1st board Pessi Heino 3½ points out of 5, 2nd board Daniel Kuivasniemi 3½, 3rd board Daniil Garanin 5 [won all the games!], 4th board Noa Thomas 3)
- St Karins Svenska Skola, Kaarina 8 match points, 12,5 game points
- Kuitinmäki, Espoo 7 match points, 13 game points
18 teams participated.
Also our middle school team played well and got silver medals in their own group. Also this tournament was exciting.
- Olari, Espoo 9 match points
- ENGS 7 match points, 12,5 game points (1st board Mariela Ebeling 3 points out of 5, 2nd board Ville Vähätalo 3, 3rd board Leo Huang 4, 4th board Axel Eerola 2,5)
- Mankkaa, Espoo 7 match points, 12,5 game points
Even the tie-break was very close between ENGS and Mankkaa. The reason why we got silver medals before Mankkaa, was the fact that we had won on the higher board in our match against Mankkaa - it means Mariela had won her game against Mankkaa's 1st board player.
Once more, congrats to Mika and all the players!