1. Diverse forms of expression
The goal of preschool education is to develop children’s self-expression by practicing basic skills in music, visual arts, crafts - and both physical and verbal expression.
- Musical activities in preschool education are versatile, involve multiple senses and have the objective of strengthening children’s interest in music.
- Making crafts and using a number of different tools and instruments are practiced.
- The development of children’s visual thinking and expression is supported by creating, interpreting and evaluating different images.
- Children are encouraged to engage in verbal and physical expression through activities and play.
2. Rich world of the language
The mission of preschool education is to support the development of children’s linguistic skills from a comprehensive perception of the meaning of language towards more specific observations of structure and form.
- The development of linguistic awareness in children is promoted with play, rhymes and familiarization with spoken and written language.
- Children’s emerging reading and writing skills are supported with play and other activities.
3. Me and my community
The mission of preschool education is to strengthen children’s understanding of the diversity of society and their role within it.
4. Exploring and interacting with my environment
The task of preschool education includes supporting the development of children’s mathematical thinking, strengthening their knowledge of nature and their relationship with it, and acquainting them with everyday technology. Preschool education includes familiarization with enquiry-based learning by making observations, exploring one´s surroundings, experimenting and making conclusions.
- Preschool education strengthens the foundation for the development of children’s mathematical thinking. Children learn to pay attention to the mathematics they come across in their daily lives and environment.
- Environmental education in preschool education offers children experience of the natural world and the opportunity to investigate and become familiar with plants, animals and other natural phenomena.
- Technological solutions that children come across in their daily lives and the characteristics and functionality of these solutions are observed and considered together with the children.
5. I grow and develop
The practical skills associated with taking care of oneself are part of the competencies that preschool education aims for. These goals are achieved with physical activity, nutritious food, consumer skills, health and safety.
- One goal is to encourage children to be physically active in versatile ways and to experience the joy of physical activity.
- Mealtimes are used as a learning environment for promoting healthy habits.
- Advertising targeted at children is examined as is the significance of moderate consumption.
- Understanding the importance of exercise, rest and strong interpersonal skills are emphasized.
- Children learn about their right to a safe life, appropriate and kind treatment, and physical inviolability.